Friday, June 18, 2010

My Community


Everyone belongs to at least one community. I myself am in a community. I am part of the teen mothers community. Teen mothers have been looked down on for years. People look at us and say, "This is what happens when you mess around." or "You deserved that." But what they don't realize are the obstacles that we have to go through.

By being part of this community, I am able to help others that are in the same situation I was a year ago. I know what they're going through, so I am able to advice them and suggest ideas. Many teen mothers drop out of school. The sudden change in their lives is too much for them. They don't know how to handle their situations, and that is where I come in.

I helped support girls that were in the bare edge of break down. I participate as a helper or a speaker at my High School's parenting class. Of course there are no classes right now, but I will start helping again as soon as school starts. I am one out of a few teen mothers that has magically succeeded. With determination and hard work I have made it through high school and am now in college. This is why I help persuade my high school's teen mothers. I wish to see more young women like me happy, successful, and in college.

1 comment:

  1. Wow you said some pretty powerful stuff there. I agree that when people see teen mothers they do tend to assume the worst but everyone is different and I bet you know that there are also many understanding people out there. I think its cool how you are trying to make a difference and wanting to influence younger girls who are now walking in your shoes. You are in college and have a family the fact that you made it is not a “miracle”. You made it because you tried hard to make it happen. Keep it up girl and the picture you posted of your family is adorable.

    ReplyDelete