Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My Greatest Challenge


The biggest challenge in my educational life was having a son. Being a mother during high school made things very challenging, both emotionally and ethically. I always had a lot of homework, similar to now. As a student I was determined to do my homework, but my intuition always made me stop my homework to pick up my son as he cried. I couldn’t leave him crying on the floor. I don’t wish to sound like many teen mothers that say that because of their child they cannot do their homework. But my son would literally cry for me every time I began to do my homework. I would end up doing my homework after my son fell asleep, at 3a.m. I would wake up exhausted every morning thinking of ways to keep myself awake during school. Being a mother is not something I regret, but it is something I wish I had waited for a little bit longer. Being a mother brought me behind in school but didn’t cause me to fail. I made it through determination and sleepy mornings.It certainly changed my life, but it changed it for the better. It made me a grown mature adult. I still have problems with leaving my son behind to join the Academic Bridge Program, but I always figured, its for the best.

5 comments:

  1. Mayra, I enjoyed reading your post. It is true what you say about the excuses teen moms say about not getting homework done. But you are way different form the rest. The day I found out you had a son, I was surprised and happy. Its just amazing seeing you continuing with your education and having a son at the same time. Keep up the good work because you are not only doing good things for you but also for your son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A baby is always a blessing. Yes it requires a lot of time and patience but it is worth it. Your baby latter on will see the sacrifice you made to keep up with school and him and it should motivate him to do good as well. I am glad to hear that you did not give up like most girls do when they get pregnant. And don't mention to yourself that you should've waited more because there is no going back and you should focus on the present which is your baby and school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I havent known you for long Mayra but you are a very smart and hardworking person. Having a baby while in high school and having to take care of him during your college life sounds very difficult. I would say that maybe I would not be able to do it. You are right about other teen moms using that as an excuse to get out of their responsabilities but you are different and thats why I like you. You encourage me to do well. If you can do it with a baby in your life, there is no excuse for me not to do it too. Keep up the good work and just go forward because there is not going back. Live your life to the fullest and make sure you have no regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not everything in life is easy and the obstacles that we face are there because we are working twice as hard as others to provide a better option for those we love. A child is nothing but a blessing from God and working for that child is admirable. Putting excuses, as mentioned, makes no difference in the end because the results are the ones that count and having a child and making it to college exposes a persons’ determination to succeed not just for themselves but for others as well. Being in college and having a child puts to shame those who do not attend and have no real responsibility; yet, a person having a child (especially so young) and being a student is just amazing. Setting this example for their child will bring greater satisfaction and joy in the future for they are being role models for their kids showing them that anything is possible as long as they put their minds to it. You acknowledge that you had plenty of excuses that you could have made; yet, you chose to yes have them but at the same time work through them. Excuses are for those who have no legitimate reason to not keep their words. Keep up the good work (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job for not giving in as other teen mothers do. There are many reasources for teen mothers now a days. You just continue staying focused and dedicated to school and your son. Everything will turn out well.

    ReplyDelete