Wednesday, July 28, 2010

~My Summer Experience at UTD!~


Never in my life had I ever heard of UTDallas. As my years in high school came to an end I imagined my life as a college student. Everything would be easy since I could plan my own classes .I thought I would be able to go out to parties every night. I would be able to enjoy my adult life with no obstacles. I thought seriously about what college I would attend. I settled my thoughts on UTA, though I wished I had found a college closer to home. After I had my son I soon came up to the conclusion that I would not go to college. I assumed that college would be too challenging with a baby involved. I wouldn’t have time for homework, a job, and not even time for my son. There wouldn’t be enough money for college with my responsibility of a baby. My teacher then mentioned UTD’s summer Bridge Program Scholarship. I knew I would never be able to afford my college expenses, and UTD’s bridge scholarship would help me advance in my studies making college a lot easier. I soon had hope again. I applied and was accepted into UTD’s Summer Bridge Program. The Bridge then helped me apply for my financial aid. As soon as my financial aid award letter arrived I was excited to announce to my family that the government was going to award me with nearly eighteen thousand dollars for the 2010-2011 school year. Thanks to the Summer Bridge Program I was not only able to have enough money to go to college, but I was also able to have a chance at experiencing the college life. In my two month stay at UTD I experienced many changes in my way of looking at school. I created new bonds that will surely never be forgotten, and along with my friendships I learned to overcome my obstacles without ever giving up. Lastly I learned that what I once thought would be the easiest years of my life were actually going to be the hardest years of my life.
As my high school years came to an end I imagined college based on what others told me. In my mind college would be the greatest chapter of my life. I would be able to slack off and still get A’s just like in high school. I assumed that all professors would be cool and would remind me when my assignments were due. I assumed that I would be allowed to re-take my tests and turn in late work. I assumed that my professors would babysit me just like my high school teachers. I especially assumed I wouldn’t end up walking as much as I did in high school because I would be old enough to drive everywhere. In other words, college would be a piece of cake. Unfortunately, nearly all my assumptions were wrong. Throughout my two month summer courses I have not been able to slack off once. My classes have been intense, but yet relaxing. I’m not sure if it was the professors’ warm welcomes or their senses of humor which made everything fun, but regardless, my classes were complicated. Some professors did remind me when my assignments were due, but others did not. Everything was to be turned in on time, no excuses. I was forced to keep track of my own assignments. This change made me well organized so that I would be able to turn everything in on time. I was not allowed to have any excuses. This rule was serious, unlike high school. I had to organize myself for the better. Part of my organization included organizing different routes to take to get to my classes. UTDallas is an extremely large campus and I had to find short cuts. There was no possible way to drive to class, unless I drove through the buildings. Otherwise I was stuck with walking: my most hated exercise. I wish someone would have told me that half of the time I’m at UTDallas I will be walking. That confession would have helped me accept the fact that fixing my hair in college is completely useless because the heat will simply mess it up. This would have been some very great, helpful, and timesaving advice for me, especially over this past summer.

My summer in college has been a life changing experience. My assumptions were proven to be wrong. My point of view as a college student has evolved. I now plan to work harder in every class. I plan to give college my all regardless of what my obstacles may be. I am not planning on living on campus; therefore, this was my one chance at experiencing the college life. It was fun to have a little freedom for two months, though I missed being restricted. I especially loved the fact that all my classes were walking distance, unlike this fall. This fall I shall have to wake up extra early in the morning to get to my classes on time. My college life experience was not only life changing, but it was lonely as well. I missed my family and friends from home, but I made new friends who made my experience a lot better.

Throughout the summer I met many people, some were older and others younger. No matter what the situation was, younger or older, everyone was great. Some people were overly friendly and others were not friendly enough. I tried my best to make friends with everyone because I knew that these friends would help encourage me through college. Some people didn’t seem to accept my friendship, but others just stuck on like magnets. I’m very glad to have met all the Bridge Program students and staff, but I am especially glad to have met my new friends. Throughout this summer, my friends have helped and encouraged me in school. There were times when I gave up, especially with my essays, but they would lift up my spirits and convince me that giving up is the most horrifying choice I could ever make. My friends have truly helped me succeed these past two months, and I sincerely hope that they keep encouraging me in the far future just like I will be encouraging them.

During my two month college life experience I faced many obstacles: laziness, loneliness, and my son’s absence. Of course, laziness has always been a problem for me. I’ve always settled with a simple, “Ah, I’ll do it later!” In high school I always did my assignments at the last minute, which worked out pretty nicely. I tried my same typical solution of “I’ll do it later.” Unfortunately, it didn’t work out. I got a failing grade in that first assignment, which to me was very important. I then decided to overcome this obstacle by getting all my assignments done as soon as possible. I had to take responsibility for my actions. I now do all my assignments as soon as they are given to me so that way I will have the rest of my day, week, or weekend to myself. But, when I finish my homework, I would end up with nothing to do and no one to talk to. I hardly knew anyone. The only people I knew nearly always had something to do. That is when I came up with the solution of making new friends. Though there are still times when all was said and done I would end up all by myself in my apartment wishing that I was back at home with my son and family. My greatest obstacle I have had has been the absence of my son. Even though during high school I was not able to see him much, I was still able to sleep with him and cherish every moment of his sleep. But over the summer, I wasn’t even able to at least give him a kiss goodnight. The simple thought of this misfortune hurt me severely. I saw myself as a horrible mother, because I was abandoning my son. I felt as if I had chosen school over him. Nearly half my summer I cried myself to sleep thinking about my son and how mad he must be at me for abandoning him just to get an education. Though soon as my emotions grew calmer I began to realize that what I am doing is for his future. This is still an obstacle for me though. I still live with the fear that one day my son will reject me for not spending enough time with him. My fear will never go away, but I know, or rather still hope, that when my son gets older he will realize that what I am doing is all for his own benefit.

My first college experience was great but also difficult. For a new incoming freshman I would suggest you keep your minds open. Always be open for advice, help, and change. College will be a major part of your life; therefore, you have to learn to deal with it. Also remember, do not ever slack off because you will fail, and always keep your assignments, thoughts, and yourself organized because that will keep you on track. Most importantly, never give up. Always remember your goals because if you succeed you will be able to look back and say, “I did it!”

No comments:

Post a Comment