Monday, July 19, 2010

Open letter to President Obama


Dear President Obama,

When you began to run for president I had a feeling that you would be the history in the making. And once you were elected I was proud to say that I was alive to live through the act that will change history. I was alive when the first African American president of the United States was elected. I lived a through a part of history, which is indeed something to be proud of. You, unlike other presidents, have promised to help my people, the immigrants. I do not say my people because I myself am an immigrant, but because my family and friends are immigrants; therefore, immigrants are a part of me.

But for the past few months not much has been said about immigration. You said you would do what ever you could to help hard working immigrants receive social working numbers. Unfortunately, I do not have a television so I cannot follow along with news from your actions, but my family does have a television. They watch the news everyday in hopes that one day you will be successful in helping them get a social security number, but the more they watch the news the less hope they have for your help. I, unlike them, still do have hope in your promises. Even though my family is beginning to doubt what you say and regret agreeing with you, I still understand that it takes time to help fix the U.S. and you can't do everything in a few months, but I do ask for you to once again give hope to my people. I ask for you to show them that you have not forgotten them. Show my people that you still have them in mind and that you will help them as soon as you can.

I know it is hard to try and fix everything, but always remember to remind the ones who voted for you that not all is lost. Remind them that there are still three and a half years to go, and one day you will get to our issue. Remind those who voted for you that there is still time, and they should never lose hope.

Sincerely,
Mayra Jaramillo

1 comment:

  1. Multiple families live in fear of being seperated from their families and that is saddening for they cannnot be free in this country that is the "land of freedom." Empty promises are not good for the people might revolt so the president should do something about it. The only things that are seen of immigrants is what they do bad but they make various good deeds and no one wants to compensate them and that is so UNCOOL.
    God Bless (:

    ReplyDelete