Thursday, July 22, 2010

Should a murderer be excused from the death penalty just because he's mentally ill?


In yesterday's "Editorial: Mental retardation and the death penalty", the Dallas Morning News argues that criminals, such as Bruce Carniel Webster, should be excused from the death penalty because of his mental state. The court sentenced his death penalty before they found out he had mental issues, but once they found out he had mental issues they still denied the removal of the death penalty.

Webster "beat [an] Arlington girl with a shovel, dragged her into a grave in Arkansas, stripped her, doused her with gasoline and burned her alive". He murdered an innocent "16-year-old honor student". Even though Webster was declared as mentally ill I'm sure he must have had some kind of brain to think over what he was doing at the moment. Webster must know that what he did was completely wrong, and he should pay the consequences.

I understand that sentencing Webster to a death penalty will not bring back that smart sixteen year old, but neither will putting him in a jail for the rest of his life. I honestly cannot believe The Dallas Morning News's opinion. Why would they vote for the death penalty to be removed from a cold blooded murderer? Yes I feel sorry for Webster's illness, but I feel no mercy for a heartless murderer.

3 comments:

  1. Well I get what you are saying but I in no way believe in the death penalty because that is the people who judge, are for it, and the actual persecutors who become murderers themselves. It's as if they want to play the role of God and take and give life or something. I am saddened when i hear that someone has become deprived of life besides uthenizing them is the easy way out in a way.
    Well, God BLess (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one can take away the priviledge of living but God. Killing that poor girl was horrifying and should deserve punishment but I just don't believe killing him is the solution. He will pay for what he did by carrying it on his consience for the rest of his life, with his illness, and with liberty taken away from him. God knows everything and he will be the one to judge him and decide when he shall die. I do agree with you on the punishment part 100% but I'm not sure on the killing him part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am shocked of what people can do to their fellow man… I am personally for the death penalty I think it is more inhumane that a murder sit in a jail cell receive three meals a day, and a place to exercise for killing another person. Not everyone who goes to jail will receive the same judgment I know this but when it comes to murders “an eye for an eye” comes to mind just make sure you have the right person beforehand.

    ReplyDelete